Oh my goodness!! I got nominated for a Liebster Award by the lovely Addison Greene! I humbly accept! How cool is that?! Thank you so much, Addison!! Everyone go visit her! I think her blog entry called A Road Trip Through Childhood was the first entry of hers I read, and I knew I’d be going back for more. She has an enjoyable blog where she writes about travel, which is a compelling subject for me, since I seem to regularly have this sense of wanderlust.
To learn more about the award, I went ahead and googled the official rules which are summarized as follows:
1. Thank the person who nominated you, and link back to them.
2. List these rules somewhere in your post.
3. Name your favorite blog that is not your own with a short description.
4. Answer the questions given to you by the person who nominated you.
5. Nominate 5-11 bloggers for this lovely award, who have fewer than 200 subscribers.
6. List 11 Random Facts about yourself.
7. List 11 questions for your nominees to answer on their posts!
8. Let your nominees know you nominated them!
All right, then, onto the next step…
This is a hard one to narrow down! I think I am going to say…
I love the way Chel writes about her art processes, her home and family life. She’s a gentle soul, a lovely writer, and a really good friend!! Any time I see an update from her, I smile!
1. What is your favorite place in the world?
I could answer this so many ways! Do I say Paris, because I was enthralled with the city when I was there? Do I say home, because home is where the heart is? I could say Capri, because it was so gorgeous and made my heart happy. Or Australia, because it was so amazing, it felt like home. Or Los Angeles, because it was my home for so long. Disneyland was one of the first to spring to mind, too, of course! I love that place. Or maybe just… any beach? I feel so happy and peaceful any time I’m at the beach!! I think it depends on my mood…
2. Why did you begin blogging?
Well, funnily enough, I have a blog post on this very subject! (Someday my blog will be like those “there’s an app for that” commercials, except I’ll be saying, “I have a blog post for that!”) Mostly, just to try it out. I had always loved reading diaries, and thought, what will it be like to share my thoughts and experiences on a website? I keep doing it, because it’s really fun, and I keep meeting awesome people because of it. It keeps me practicing writing, which I love, and it keeps me practicing sharing writing, which I need a kick in the pants to do, sometimes!
3. What is the worst nightmare?
My worst nightmare? I hate to get all morbid super quick, but my absolute worst nightmare would be losing my son. Having a child has been life altering in so many ways, but that’s the biggest one, that that is what matters most – that he is alive and healthy. All other fears fall to the ground like grains of sand, in comparison.
4. What is your overall strategy with your blog?
Hmm.. perhaps I should have one of these! 😉 Mostly, I’ve been doing my photo posts, but I just want to write more regularly. The general idea is that maybe writing here will help keep me practicing, and remembering to write stories and novels, and then someday I can also share on my blog “hey here’s my published novels!” when that day eventually comes.
5. What is your best memory?
The midwife placing my son on my chest immediately after he was born. Amazing, amazing, amazing. ❤
6. What was the scariest moment you’ve ever experienced?
When Homer stopped breathing, turned blue, and passed out in my arms when he was ten days old. We were already in the hospital for his not-breathing episodes, and still didn’t know why they were happening. The staff came and helped. About twenty staff members. It was insane. I have never been more petrified of anything in my life. The aftermath of recovering emotionally from that was extremely hard on me. I’ll write more about it here, sometime. (Kinda explains #3 a bit more too, huh?) I’ve written about it in journals and such, to help with the coping process. But anyway, yeah, I’m doing much better these days.
7. What is your favorite food?
A lighter subject, whew! 😉 Ummm… Ice cream!
8. Who inspires you?
Oh man, so many people! Neil Gaiman. He’s one of my favorite authors, and I love not only his fictional writing, but a few of the things he’s written about writing. I’m inspired by my family members, by my friends… I’m lucky that so many names are springing to mind. I could (and just might) write a whole series of posts on just this!! Thanks for all the inspiration, everyone!
9. What do you do when you aren’t working on your blog?
I play video games with Homer and/or Joe, watch tv with Joe (we’re currently marathon-ing Game of Thrones in the evenings), read, drink coffee, write stories/novels, write ideas for stories/novels, edit stories/novels, take photos, edit photos (I sense a theme here…), volunteer at the zoo, walk the dog, sleep, compulsively check facebook, hang out with friends and their lovely kids at one of the many local parks, pin tons of crap on Pinterest… the list goes on.
11. Where do you find inspiration for your blog?
Mostly just life. Sometimes I enjoy things like Daily Prompts, or challenges of some kind. Conversations with friends, or my kiddo, other posts I read that spark ideas, lists of questions I come across online, and everyday experiences I have, are all some of the ways I find inspiration for this blog. And how I’ve used that inspiration is mostly by writing notes and ideas for posts that have yet to be written! Time to get crackin’!
1. About half my friends know me as Meghan, and half know me as Meg. I answer to both and have a hard time deciding which I like to be called. Most of the time, it’s no big deal, until I’m leaving a voicemail and I have to remember, mid-sentence, which friend knows me by which name!
4. I’m experiencing an embarrassing level of self-imposed pressure to “step up my game” now that I’ve been nominated for this Leibster Award. I’m such a giant dork, I know, and need to just keep writing and stop thinking so much!
6. A red-ruffed lemur has licked the insides of my nose, on not just one occasion, but several.
7. I have a fascination with old fashioned animal circuses, even though I also have a hatred for them as well. The fascination is with the history of them, the look of them (the tents and bright colors), and I enjoy reading books that have some circus elements.
8. I love lighthouses! And pretty much all things nautical or related to beaches and the ocean. I had this book on Jacques Cousteau that I loved to read over and over in second grade.
9. Whenever I’m interested in something, I read everything I can get my hands on related to the subject.
10. I often have a hard time feeling like I really belong anywhere. It’s a weird feeling, and possibly (probably?) related to having an anxiety disorder.
11. Almost every single friend in my life was made due to a connection with the internet. Like, if we played Six Degrees of Separation with an online connection, I think really, almost everyone I know is because of the internet. My parents and brothers might be the only exception to this!
1. How long have you been writing?
2. What makes your home feel like home to you?
3. What is one misconception people have about you?
4. What was a favorite toy of yours as a child?
5. What is your earliest memory, and how old were you?
6. What pets do you have, if any?
7. Name a favorite of each: book, movie, tv show
8. Name a //least// favorite of each: book, movie, tv show
9. Where/when would you travel first if you were a companion to The Doctor on the T.A.R.D.I.S.?
10. What instruments, if any, do you play (or would like to play), and why did you choose it/them?
11. What hobby have you never tried, but would like to?
Thanks for coming by, and I hope you enjoyed reading!! Nominees, feel free to comment here when you’ve posted your own posts. I’d love to read your answers! Take care, everyone!