This is my 100th blog post at this site! I wanted to do something for it, because apparently, it is in online writers’ DNA to want to do something fun for these blogging milestones. I mused about it on facebook, and someone suggested 100 things I love, and then she suggested 100 things I hate. Ha! That did help though, because I realized I could do ten lists of ten things each. Hopefully it’ll be fun to read, and fun for me to write too. Here we go!
10 Things I Love:
1. My family & friends
4. Sunsets & Thunder (I am cheating by having two weather-y type related thingies here… because I can! muahahhaha!)
6. Peaceful alone time
10. Birth & Babies
10 Things I Greatly Dislike:
2. Bad driving
3. High pitched tones or beeping (drives me nuts!!)
4. Being constantly interrupted (as in, people who will NOT let you get a word in edgewise and talk over you)
6. Two different sounding things playing at the same time (e.g., music from one source and a tv show from another..)
7. Super hot weather (defined as anything 80-ish degrees Fahrenheit and over!)
8. Construction noise
9. Snobby, judgmental bullshit
10. Animal drool/slobber. Human babies are fine. Human adults with lots of spittle.. that’s pretty tough to handle. The St. Bernard I cared for years back who would slime my pants with her smeary drool… I gagged a few times, seriously.
10 Things You Might Not Know About Me (Or, Probably Do If You’ve Known Me A While!):
1. I went through a very brief punk phase, enjoying punk music and stuff I considered punk fashion
2. I really like fashion from the 1920s and ’40s.
3. I enjoy really old style dancing.. I went to a Victorian dance one time to play a duet set with my friend, on my flute and his harp, and during a music break got to actually do the dance lesson part, and loved it!
4. I also like swing dancing! And West African Dance – took a class in college and loved it!
5. I am left handed (so are Joe and Homer!)!
6. Australia is close to my heart since I got to study abroad there for six weeks in college.
7. Art makes me happy – looking at paintings, actually painting things myself, writing, reading other peoples’ writing, listening to and/or making music, taking and looking at photographs.. Especially old black and white photos – I feel so drawn in by them!
8. I love learning about space, stars, planets, moons and galaxies.
9. The few times I’ve done any acting in life were so fun and I’d love to do it again!
10. I have had OCD since I was 7 years old and have done pretty well learning to work through a lot of it, and am continuing to do so!
10 Awesome Memories:
1. Holding my son in my arms for the first time!
2. The first time I met Joe in person!!
3. The first time Homer ever sang.
4. Watching fireflies dance around with my mom, younger brother, Uncle Don, and Grandma Josephine just outside her Massachusetts home.
5. Taking walks with Mom as a kid around the neighborhood.
6. My brother, Garth, and I playing with our imaginary friends together.
7. My older brothers swinging me by my hands and feet up onto the bed as I laughed and laughed.
8. Bike riding with Dad.
9. Disneyland trips!
10. Band memories, especially playing a solo in competition in a big concert one year – so fun!
10 Common Things I Say:
1. any number of actual curse words, including mashups of originals.. I am creative in my colorful language!
2. immediately followed by “sorry, don’t ever say that, those are Mommy’s words..”
3. Whatcha doing, doggie? ….DAMN IT, ASHTON!! Give me that!
4. Homer, I have told you… (any number of things, e.g., “not to splash water when washing hands” is a common one)
5. Speaking in imaginary friends’ voices including but not limited to: Bowser Jr., Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle, Apple Jack… etc.
7. No, it’s not time to be super naked yet.
8. I don’t feel like playing a video game right now. (And less common but still does occur: Okay, we can play a game, what do you want to play?)
9. Why did you take off your shoes?! (in the car)
10. (And last but not least) I love you!!
10 Books I Love:
1. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
2. Wonder When You’ll Miss Me by Amanda Davis
3. Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
4. South of the Border West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami
5. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
6. Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher
7. Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
8. Momma Zen: Walking the Crooked Path of Motherhood by Karen Maezen Miller
9. Misery by Stephen King
10. Waiting for Birdy by Catherine Newman
10 Bands I Love:
1. They Might Be Giants
2. Violent Femmes
4. Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes
5. Mumford and Sons
8. The Beatles
9. The Doors
10. The Lumineers
10 Goals I have:
1. Write a novel
2. Edit and Publish a novel (and then hopefully repeat 1 and 2 a bunch!)
3. Make some scrapbooks
4. Take a glass blowing class
5. Learn a whole lot about photography and take amazing photos
6. Train my dog to do some more awesome things
7. Learn to cook well
8. Lose about 100 lbs
9. Get fit (possibly doing races eventually.. 5K, 10K, maybe even a half marathon)
10. Put photos up on my walls to decorate
10 TV shows I’ve Enjoyed Immensely:
1. Amazing Race
2. America’s Got Talent
3. Grey’s Anatomy
4. Warehouse 13
7. Breaking Bad
8. Better Call Saul
10. Law & Order (in multiple forms, but especially SVU)
10 Quotes that Inspire Me, and Hopefully You Too!
1. “Until one has loved an animal a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.”
— Anatole France
2. “If you feel something calling you to dance or write or paint or sing [or whatever it is you are called to do], please refuse to worry about whether you’re good enough. Just do it. Be generous. Offer a gift to the world that no one else can offer: yourself.”
–Glennon Doyle Melton
3. “There are two ways to live your life — believing everything is a miracle or that nothing is.”
— Albert Einstein
4. “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.”
5. “Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I’ll try again tomorrow.”
–Mary Anne Radmacher
6. “We need a renaissance of wonder. We need to renew, in our hearts and in our souls, the deathless dream, the eternal poetry, the perennial sense that life is miracle and magic.”
— E. Merrill Root
7. “None of us will ever accomplish anything excellent or commanding except when he listens to this whisper which is heard by him alone.”
–Ralph Waldo Emerson
8. “If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.”
— Henry David Thoreau, Walden
9. “You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment.”
— Henry David Thoreau
10. “I talk to him when I’m lonesome like; and I’m sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that.”
— W. Dayton Wedgefarth
And there you have it! Hope you found that enjoyable! I did, but it was really hard limiting myself to just ten things in most of these lists, and I’m sure I left out a LOT, and worried this is all terrible, but anyway, just going to post it! I hope you’re all having a great day, and I’ll be back to write more again soon!